Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm Back...

But now I've turned to another page of my creative endeavours. I don't know what it is about the coming of fall, but whatever it is, I am always drawn away from my regular ways of scrapbooking and pulled towards the warmth and coziness of quilting and crocheting, knitting and cooking. I've joined several new groups and quilt - alongs, as you can plainly see in the sidebar of my blog, and a couple of them are starting in September. I also took a pledge - a process pledge. Here is the pledge:

I, Jordan, pledge to talk more about my processes, even when I can’t quite put them into words or be sure I’m being totally clear. I’m going to put my thinking and my gut feelings out there.

And I'm going to do just that. I'm going to blog and I'm going to do it more often - about my works in progresses and the projects that I'm just not quite sure that I like. Even the ones that I hate during the process, I'm going to post; and I'm going to tell all of you what I'm feeling about that particular thing.

I have also joined a free motion quilting quilt-along... I've always been somewhat intimidated by free motion; I love the look, but I'm still scared of it. As I was browsing Flickr a couple of days ago I found this... and as I looked into it, I found that it wasn't as intimidating as it initially seemed. I'm still wondering, somewhat unsure of myself, but I know that everything you do and want to do needs practice, and that practice makes perfect - or at least somewhat better! I'm going to put together a simple top to practice my free motion on. The blog suggests using strips in a couple of different sizes to accomplish this, but I think I'm going to use some of my scraps - different sized squares, rectangles, triangles, and pehaps one or two strips to make a quilt the same size as they are using. I don't think I'm going to use a pattern - I might sketch a bit in my sketchbook this afternoon to see what I can come up with, but I know that it's not going to be something over the top. I'll probably use bigger scraps than I usually use so the top can come together at least fairly quickly - what do you guys think? Also another thing I've been considering is to piece the top too...

No comments:

Post a Comment